The Waverly/South Shore School Board met in regular session on May 9, 2011 at 7:10 p.m. in the science room of the Waverly school with the following members present: D. Strang, M Fischer, A. Heuer, J. Buchholz, and D. Thyen. Guests and others present: D. Jones, T. Nelson, S. Mack, B. Kirch, other interested parties and M. Hemmingson-Business Manager.
Motion by Thyen, second by Heuer to approve agenda with the following change: Move Business item I to after the executive session. Motion carried.
Motion by Buchholz, second by Thyen to approve the minutes of the April meeting. Motion carried.
Motion by Fischer, second by Heuer to approve the financial report. Motion carried.
Motion by Heuer, second by Buchholz to approve the March bills and payroll. Motion carried.
General Fund Capital Outlay Special Ed. Pension Food Service Tr & Agency
Apr 1, 2011
Beginning Balance $974,707.87 $372,470.18 $41,623.76 $67,281.60 $10,691.71 $20,490.02
Receipts: Local $23,145.68 $8,437.13 $6,835.15 $565.88 $3,880.75 $4,903.71
County $1,797.09 $0.00
State $76,815.00 $0.00 $3,517.00 $0.00
Federal $22,550.00 $0.00 $0.00 $4,136.94
Expenditures $139,941.05 $117.68 $19,879.84 $0.00 $6,991.26 $2,125.46
Ending Balance $959,074.59 $380,789.63 $32,096.07 $67,847.48 $11,718.14 $23,268.27
Apr 30, 2011
General Fund: A&B Business-copier maint/598.42, ABC Automatic Building Controls-fire system check/497.76, Alltel, cell/139.31, Best Business-copier maint/155.00, Best Western-hotel room/197.98, Classroom connection-supp/537.64, CNA Surety-bond/100.00, Codington Clark Electric-electricity/1,837.83, Dependable Sanitation-garbage/244.45, Flinn Scientific-supp/549.25, General Technology-supp/341.28, B. Guthmiller-reimb for supp/28.60, K. Hardina-accomp/200.00, M Hemmingson-mileage & reimb/43.08, K. Henricks-reimb for Aces classes/200.00, Hillyard-supp/368.03-repair/135.00, ITC-phones/291.89, Jostens-covers/60.23, C. Koll-mileage/6.66, J. Kowalski-reimb for aces class/100.00, J. Lewno-reimb for aces class/100.00, S. Mack-reimb for supp/7.63, Mahowald-supp/48.57, Marc-boiler supp/363.54, Menards-supp/9.76, T. Nelson-mileage/87.32, NESC-assess/43.30, Otter Tail Power-electricity/623.37, Qwest-phones/365.24, B. Reinhard-accomp/200.00, J. Robbins-supp/8.45, SASD-bus mgr dues/226.71-Supt dues/461.64, Sheraton-hotel rooms/252.00, C. Siegried-reimb for aces class/100.00, Sioux Rural Water-water/129.50, Sioux Valley Coop-fuel/9,7070.23, Software Unlimited-maint fee/2320.00, South Shore Gazette-publishing/199.27, Star Laundry-laundry/152.75, Tessman Seed-seed & fert/446.30, D. Thyen-mileage/11.84-reimb for aces classes/200.00, P. Thyen-reimb for aces class/100.00, Titan Machinery-bus repairs/1,358.93, Town of South Shore-water/36.00, USPS-stamps/176.00, Visa-supp/1,717.65, J. Volkenant-mileage/7.40, Watertown Public Opinion-adv/234.27, Watertown School Dist-fingerprints/86.50, Waverly Trust & Agency-reimb/861.00, Xerox Capital Services-copier maint/20.22, and Great Western Bank-fees/0.00. Total $31,050.40.
Capital Outlay: Ana Con Leasing-copier lease buyout/502.11, Connecting Point-networking/262.50, First Bank of White-cert pmt/31,313.00 Johnson & Crooks-concrete work/1,282.00, and Variety Foods-dishwasher lease/65.00. Total-$33,424.61.
Special Education: Abbott House-services/1253.96, Human Services Agency-services/1190.40, J. Levsen-mileage/38.48, NESC-assess/1623.05-center base/6097.87 and Waverly T&A-reimb for supp/16.00 . Total-$10,219.76.
Food Service: Child & Adult Nutrition-food/168.04, CWD-food/2670.17, Earthgrains-food/302.73, Hy-Vee-food/494.02, K. Minatra-mileage/78.07, Star Laundry-laundry/84.34, Variety Foods-food & supp/1,188.51, and Visa-food/134.02. Total-$5,119.90.
Trust & Agency: Balloons & Banners-prom supp/33.92, Laura Ingals-field trip/85.00, S. Luken-supp/10.11, Oriental Trading-supp/251.91, Red Wheel-fundraiser/1578.13, Visa-supp/66.19, Books Are Fun-supp/16.00, Estelline-track fees/235.00, Holiday Inn-hotel rooms/178.00, Human Service Agency-workshop/20.00, Nesodak-field trip/474.75, SD Band Masters-fee/140.00, J. Urban-reimb for driver’s ed/150.00, Watertown School Dist-physicals/75.00, and Watoma-track fee/100.00. Total $3,414.01.
Payroll: General: Elementary $34626.70, Middle School $7,460.27, Secondary $20,295.72, Driver’s Ed $0.00, Reap $1,366.80, Title I $4345.90, Title I ARRA $0.00, Guidance $2,645.83, Improvement of Instruction $0.00, Board of Education $840.00, Superintendent $2933.33, Principal $2933.34, Title I Administration $0.00, Fiscal $5,551.72, Operations & Maintenance $4,742.83, Pupil Transportation $5,434.12, Title I Private $214.17, Early Retirement $0.00, Male Activities $133.33, Female Activities $1,505.62, and Co-curricular $2,088.20. General Fund Total $97,117.88. Sped: $8,054.80. Food Service: $3,649.31.
S. Mack, T. Nelson, and B. Kirch gave class presentations. Representatives from the Softball Association gave presentation on updating concession stand.
Buildings and Grounds report: Discussed crows nest, gravel when it dries out, blade parking lot, and existing concession stand.
M. Fischer gave LAMD report.
D. Jones gave NESC report.
D. Jones gave the transportation report. June 21st is the date for the annual bus inspection. One bus broke down in Estelline and the alternator had to be replaced.
D. Jones and M. Hemmingson gave administrative reports: Jones discussed that July 25th is the date the gym floor will be redone and it won’t be open again until Aug. 14th, open house on May 10th, preschool and kindergarten orientation day, next year’s enrollment, honor & athletic banquets, old computers will be recycled and student council will volunteer to help and wants the school to donate to their fund, Town of South Shore spoke with their attorney to see if they have to accept the building in South Shore, and the social committee will be doing a get together to recognize all the hard work of those that will be leaving if the board would like to participate. Hemmingson discussed that petitions are due Friday May 13th by 5 PM.
- Motion by Heuer, second by Fischer to contribute up to $6,500 for the building of a new concession stand/storage unit by the softball association. Motion carried.
- Motion by Fischer, second by Buchholz to rescind motion made at the April meeting to put the house in Waverly out for bids. Motion carried.
- Motion by Heuer, second by Thyen to accept the 3 appraisals on the school owned house in Waverly. Motion carried.
- Motion by Thyen, second by Fischer to advertise for bids on the house located at 106 Park Place to be moved within 60 days of date of sale. Motion carried.
- Motion by Heuer, second by Buchholz to approve the 4.55% increase to the Sanford Health Insurance premiums. Motion carried.
- Motion by Fischer, second by Thyen to approve the Delegation Agreement of Indirect Cost Rate. Motion carried.
- Motion by Fischer, second by Heuer to approve the preliminary budget for the 2011-2012 school year. Motion carried.
- Motion by Fischer, second by Heuer to vote for Fodness as SDHSAA Division III Representative. Motion carried. Motion by Heuer, second by Thyen to vote yes on both Amendment 1 and 2 for the SDHSAA constitutional amendment changes. Motion carried.
Motion by Buchholz, second by Thyen to enter into executive session at 8:44 p.m. Motion carried.
Declared out by Board Chairman at 10:10 p.m.
- Motion by Fischer, second by Heuer to NOT accept the resignation of S. Luken as Title I Director. Motion carried. Motion by Buchholz, second by Thyen to accept the resignation of M. David as Social Science Teacher and Head Football Coach. Motion carried.
- Motion by Thyen, second by Buchholz to approve the negotiated contract agreement for certified staff. Motion carried. Two in-service days will be removed from contracts with no change in salaries.
- Motion by Heuer, second by Thyen to offer classified personnel contracts. Motion carried with Buchholz abstaining from vote. Contracts offered to:
Staci Buchholz Charles Koll Jodi Strong
Doug Comes Jeanine Lewno Tammy Thyen
Mark Fransen Tim Malimanek Wesley West
Ron Jensen Kathy Minatra
Motion by Fischer, second by Thyen to adjourn the meeting at 10:30 PM. Motion carried. Next regular board meeting to be held on Monday June 13, 2011 at 7:00 P.M. in Waverly.
___David Strang_________ ___Misty Hemmingson______
BOARD CHAIRPERSON BUSINESS MANAGER
Published once at the approximate cost of $________.